The NZEB Policy and Technologies module is designed to develop an understanding of the EU Energy Efficiency Directive (EED) and Energy Performance in Buildings Directive (EPBD), which require the transposition of the Nearly Zero Energy Building (NZEB) performance standard to the Irish statutory and regulatory environment. It explores European and national policies in building energy efficiency and NZEB and explores the legal and policy issues necessary for building design professionals to be able to influence the shift to NZEB design and construction. It is designed to enable experienced building design professionals to develop an understanding of the emerging technologies used in the NZEB performance standard with a focus on the use of materials and installations suitable for the design of building solutions in NZEB dwelling design and retrofit.
Course Objectives/ Learning Outcomes
On completion of the NZEB Policy & Technologies module the learner will be able to:
- Advise on the EU policy and legislative framework appropriate to an NZEB dwelling design and retrofit.
- Appraise building fabric and building services installations, and consider the performance impact of retrofit materials and installations interventions in NZEB dwelling design and renovation.
- Establish a strategy for the development of a residential development addressing NZEB legislation and related building regulations requirements and integrating appropriate low energy building and construction technologies at a professional level
NZEB Policy and legislation:
- EU + national policies regarding energy efficiency + NZEB: Energy Performance in Buildings Directive (EPBD) + Energy Efficiency Directive (EED);
- General NZEB application to both new build and retrofit buildings;
- Analysis of building stock in Ireland and main uses;
- Difference in application of NZEB to residential and non- residential buildings;
NZEB building technologies
- Materials & Installations suitable for NZEB design and retrofitting:
Building fabric: existing performance assessment;
Building fabric: additions and interventions;
The module can lead to a standalone CPD Certificate in NZEB Policy & Technologies if completed on its own, or forms part of a Postgraduate Certificate in Building Performance (Energy Efficiency in Design) if completed within that programme. The NZEB Policy & Technologies module comprises 100 learning hours and will be recognised for two years of professional membership CPD.
Further information can be viewed at CPDEB01 Certificate_flyer
Register your interest using link below, and Sustainability Skillnet will be in contact regarding next steps of the application process.
Booking Terms & Conditions
- Please note payment must be received in advance of course.
- Training courses which are cancelled over 7 days in advance of scheduled training date shall incur no cancellation fee.
- Training courses which are cancelled within 7 days of scheduled training date shall incur a cancellation fee equal to 50% of the cost.
- Registrants who fail to attend training will be charged 100% of the full fee.
- In the case of on-line material, once access to the on-line training material is provided, no refunds can be given.